Friday, March 25, 2011

Safety: A Textbook Definition


Safety—the dictionary definition says it all:
1.     freedom from danger;
2.     lack of danger;
3.     safe place;
4.     being unharmed or undamaged; or
5.     device preventing unintentional operation.

Reading through recent headlines on glassBYTEs.com™, I noticed yet another “Woman in Critical Condition After Wreck” headline that caught my eye. There sure seem to be a lot of these stories lately! The story starts off with this paragraph.

“A Salisbury woman is in critical condition after her Ford Explorer rolled over several times and hit a telephone pole, throwing her through her windshield Friday morning on Old Mocksville Road”.

According to the report, this young lady was not wearing her seat belt, and was ejected through the windshield and suffered head injuries. She is a college student, and received emergency surgery, as her father put it, “to save her life.” I hope you will keep her in your thoughts as you go about your day. I know I will, as I have a daughter about the same age.

What really stunned me is that in the comments below the story someone posted a few statistics. “More than 90 percent of all motorists believe safety belts are good idea, but less than 14 percent actually use them.” And this statistic: “Motorists are 25 times are more likely to be killed or seriously injured when they are ‘thrown clear’ than when they remain inside their vehicles.”

This leads me to reconsider my opinion on all those warning labels you see on ladders, power tools, and almost everything you touch these days. I used to think they were unnecessary, but now I realize that the public really does need help having all five of the definitions above delivered to them to the best of the manufacturer’s ability; they just might not realize it.

The next time you have a customer that is convincing you that he/she really just wants a cheap price and safety doesn’t matter, think about Julie Keels, the young lady that was in the accident—and think about why you choose to be part of AGRSS.

Dan Mock
Business Development Director
AGRSS

254.498.8520 cell
254.304.0554 office

 

No comments:

Post a Comment